Topic Options
#8033 - 03/15/14 12:25 AM Not-so-current movies 3
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
AMC recently showed The Window -- does anyone remember that one? It's a boy-who-cried-wolf story. Bobby Driscoll plays a young boy given to telling whoppers, so when he witnesses a murder, no one believes him, least of all his parents (Kevin McCarthy and Barbara Hale). There's a gradual building up of frustration and tension that's credible and effective. This low-budget movie is 65 years old, and it still holds up.

#8035 - 03/16/14 11:08 AM Re: Not-so-current movies 3 [Re: Barbara]
Austin
Unregistered

I remember that...I saw it on TV a LONG time ago. I remember thinking, "LISTEN to the kid, willya?" Very noir.

#29486 - 07/11/14 09:23 PM Re: Not-so-current movies 3 [Re: ]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

HBO has been showing Prisoners, which I skipped when it was in the theaters because it sounded too familiar (the father of a missing child takes the law into his own hands, etc.) -- sort of TV movie fare. Boy, was I wrong. Prisoners is a complex movie about complicated relationships among the characters; it has a real sense of dread that keeps building and building until it just can't build any more. Good cast: Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Paul Dano, Melissa Leo, Maria Bello.

TMC just showed Suzy, a 1938 movie starring Jean Harlowe, Franchot Tone, and Cary Grant. In 1938 they were still listing the cast during the opening credits, and about halfway down the list appeared the name "George Spelvin" in the role of Gaston. So I watched for Gaston to see what actor didn't want his name listed, and there he was, early in the movie. Gaston was a goat.

#29490 - 07/13/14 12:38 PM Re: Not-so-current movies 3 [Re: Barbara]
Austin
Unregistered

Ha. Is "George Spelvin" still used any more?

#29492 - 07/13/14 05:59 PM Re: Not-so-current movies 3 [Re: ]
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Oh, not really -- as a joke once in a while, maybe. The name is so widely known now that it has outlived its original purpose (to conceal doubling, which audiences don't mind any more). The Directors' Guild has officially retired the name "Alan Smithee" for dissatisfied directors for the same reason (too well known).

Moderator:  Rita