Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#875 - 09/03/00 06:33 PM Re: FINALLY !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by David Dvorkin:
The Shamus winners will be announced at Bouchercon, held this year Sept. 7-10 in Denver.

In yesterday's Guardian, Simon Hoggart mentions an imminent mystery writers' convention in Denver as part of an article about St Louis, US airlines and Rex Stout. Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Barbara!

#876 - 09/03/00 09:53 PM Re: FINALLY !
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
He barely mentions the convention, and not by name. But the man's a Nero Wolfe fan, and that speaks well for him.

That bit about Americans being more "docile" about airline delays made me laugh, though. A couple of weeks ago NBC (?) News was running a series of items about passenger outrage. It's gotten so I really dread plane trips any more. When my son and grandsons came to visit, their plane got in five and a half hours late -- it's an hour and a half flight from Boston to Pittsburgh. And that same weekend my DIL and granddaughter went to a wedding in Rochester, which is even closer to Boston than Pittsburgh; they got in at three in the morning instead of their scheduled arrival at 7:30 the evening before. Air travel is out of control.

And I just noticed BJ (whom I'd been bugging to get online) posted here THREE MONTHS AGO...and I didn't see the message until now. Oy, oy, oy.

#877 - 09/04/00 08:56 AM Re: FINALLY !
Anonymous
Unregistered

The air travel delays are at least partly due to a job action by pilots of one of the airlines (Continental?). They are working without a contract, and are refusing to work any overtime. The airline evidently doesn't give a damn how many future fares they lose, just as long as they don't give in to the Union.

#878 - 09/04/00 10:03 AM Re: FINALLY !
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
On the subject of US air travel, see:

http://rtonline1.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story99046.html

one of two letters to the editor in today's Roanoke Times...the other has to do with our excessively high fares because we are a small regional airport....but obviously subject to the same problems as the big boys.

#879 - 09/08/00 10:59 AM Re: FINALLY !
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Well, I didn't win. Boo hoo.

#880 - 09/09/00 02:36 AM Re: FINALLY !
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Rats

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Barbara