Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#899 - 07/17/00 05:22 PM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still prefer bold. (And I'd also prefer a typeface with serifs, as in the "King Lear" at the top).

Lots of wiggles in both versions, but only on the RH side - it's the italics that wiggle. Netscape 3.0, 800 x 600, varifocals.

#900 - 07/17/00 09:32 PM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Andrew's conclusions. I also have a 600 x 800 screen, but am using Netscape 4.7.

#901 - 07/17/00 10:52 PM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Well, I'm not so sure now. That is an awful lot of bold. I'll look again tomorrow when I'm not sleepy.

#902 - 07/17/00 11:08 PM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
See now why this is driving me nuts?  

#903 - 07/18/00 04:07 AM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've checked again at work with both sets of glasses, and my conclusion is the same as before. And I'm not bothered about all that bold.

Since it's only really the italics that are wiggly and only the double "l" where it's a problem (Full Circle is the title to look for), why not try putting the author's name in bold and the title in "regular", and neither in italics?

#904 - 07/18/00 01:19 PM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Whoo, Andrew, you do think up work for me to do! So far I've collected over 2100 titles. To make the change you suggest, I could use a global search to remove all the italics. But then I'd have to put a bold tag in front of each author's name and an end-bold tag after each name. 2100 times I would have to do this. I don't think so.

#905 - 07/18/00 02:58 PM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
I'm switching sides. Regular is better. I think.

Decisively,

Rita

#906 - 07/18/00 05:10 PM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
To make the change you suggest, I could use a global search to remove all the italics. But then I'd have to put a bold tag in front of each author's name and an end-bold tag after each name. 2100 times I would have to do this. I don't think so.
Mmm. Maybe you could replace the begin italics tag with an end bold one? And the new-line tag with paragraph plus begin bold? No, I haven't looked at your html source, but I suspect that something like that, or a macro of some sort could do the job. Oh well.

#907 - 07/18/00 06:33 PM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Nope; there's a colon in there separating author from title. Besides, book titles should be italicized; that really can't be changed.

I got two e-mails today, one from a woman who said the bold sort of smooshed together on her screen and stick with the regular, and one from a man who said the regular was anemic and go with the bold.

A compromise may be possible. Since putting letters into bold enlarges them, I tried keeping the bold but dropping back down to size 2 font. I can read the size 2 when it's in bold, but not as easily as size 3, either regular or bold. But it does get rid of the wiggles in my browsers.

Anyway, if anyone here is not yet sick to death of this whole thing, all three possibilities can now be seen on the same page:
http://www.barbarapaul.com/shake/mndtest.htm

#908 - 07/19/00 04:00 AM Re: Your opinions are solicited...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Missing l at the end of the URL above, Barbara - should be http://www.barbarapaul.com/shake/mndtest.html .

The size 2 looks best to me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Barbara