Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#947 - 12/13/00 08:46 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Mary, I have come to visualize Holland as Avon; I didn't originally. But Avon fans can be very persuasive.

#948 - 12/14/00 02:10 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Ok, I read Making Lemonade. Man, thats a tough spot to be in. I'd never do what Marian did at the end, but I know lots of cops would. That poor family, hell of a story.

Who's Avon?

#949 - 12/14/00 03:02 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
"Who's Avon?" he asks. Mike, I asked that same question here once, and wow did I ever get snowed with answers! Barbara has put up a page about the Holland/Avon controversy; that's a good place to start. It's http://www.barbarapaul.com/holland.html

#950 - 12/16/00 11:10 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
I never heard of Blakes 7. Neither did my wife, but she says she's leaving me for Paul Darrow. What's with this guy?

#951 - 12/16/00 01:23 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Mike, I'm frequently at a loss to understand why some people find other people attractive. I don't see why men go ga-ga over Heather Locklear, for instance. It's not a gender thing; I am equally befuddled by the prevailing opinion that David Duchovny is sexy. Small eyes, big nose, soft white body. Likable, but not sexy.

But I am firmly in the camp of Avon/Darrow admirers. If your wife can see his appeal just from still shots, wait until she sees him in action. Blake's 7 is available on video.

#952 - 12/16/00 03:14 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
David Dvorkin Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
I don't see why men go ga-ga over Heather Locklear, for instance.

Well, not all men. Some of us have much better taste. But I agree with your main point, of course. Not only is it surprising what movie/TV stars come to be considered sexy, it's also distressing how it often happens -- seemingly by fiat on the part of some arbiters of sexual taste, whereupon oodles of people start agreeing.

#953 - 12/17/00 06:19 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
David Dvorkin Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA
What, Kay? What extra post? Are you imagining things? Are you seeing double? Kay! Kay! Are you all right?!

(Yes, I was able to delete it via edit. I hadn't realized one could that. Thanks for telling me about it.)

#954 - 12/17/00 06:43 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
David, what on earth are you talking about....I am not seeing anything unusual.

Oh, and you're welcome

#955 - 12/18/00 10:28 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mary Offline

Loc: MN
David--your comment about some arbiter of taste or the other deciding who's sexy is spot on. There's no other way to explain the appeal to so many people of Leo DiCaprio. If it were just teenagers, OK--but adults seem to think he's attractive.

I mean, he's not ugly by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm at an age where men to have the appearance of being old enough to vote do a lot more for me.

#956 - 12/18/00 04:34 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Scribbler Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA
I'm with you about Leo - he *still* looks like a kid to me.

One I can't explain even though I'm afflicted by it, is why Sam Waterston is attractive. He hasn't got what you'd call the usual semetrical features that qualify for "good looks". In his case, I think it must certainly be force of personality (which in his case *is* attractive). Now, I recently saw a picture of his son -- good looking.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Barbara