Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#957 - 12/18/00 07:35 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mary Offline

Loc: MN
Scribbler-Sam Waterston has great hair, and even if he's not conventionally pretty I think he's got nice features.

In fact if he were 10 years younger and hadn't gone so gray he could be a convincing Holland. (Avon fans notwithstanding.)

#958 - 12/18/00 08:23 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
Well, like all conversations on this site, we've migrated to show business; food is next, right?

Most of the time I can see what is supposed to be attractive about some new hot name, even if I don't see it that way myself. But some of the ones "decreed" to be gorgeous this week are just plain mystifying (not that they're ugly, just that they're like people I see every day): Charlize Theron, Téa Leoni, Jenna Elfman....

Also every year in the movies there's this phenomenon regular as clockwork: some new boy who's not only in 3 flicks simultaneously, but is being touted as if he were this major phenomenon with a body of work behind him. It usually explodes in September, and in successive years we had the spot filled by Matthew McConoughey, Matt Damon, Vince Vaughn... you get the idea. (I eventually decided Damon has something, on the basis of Mr. Ripley; but the others seem to have sunk back into oblivion.)

#959 - 12/18/00 09:00 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
Quote:
Well, like all conversations on this site, we've migrated to show business; food is next, right?

Funny you should mention that. I am in the middle of my annual baking frenzy to gift the neighbors.

As for who's attractive, if he ain't Sean Connery, he ain't attractive.

At any age!

As for women, my childhood idol, Maureen O'Hara, still looks pretty good at 80.

In both cases (although the young O'Hara was stunningly lovely), I think it is something deeper that the surface good looks that makes the impression......

[This message has been edited by Kay (edited 12-18-2000).]

#960 - 12/18/00 09:59 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Jon Offline

Loc: Newark, Delaware, USA
I agree. It's what (in my view) makes Frederica von Stade so charismatic among opera singers. Obviously she's gorgeous, and has been for 3 decades now; but she also radiates an inner glow that makes her special.

#961 - 12/19/00 01:16 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Scribbler Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA USA
I agree with you, Jon, that there must be something internal about the "power of attraction."

Strangely, I was thinking about just that when I was watching a figure skating competition a few weeks ago. Michelle Kwan came in second, due to technical aspects. And yet, in watching the other skaters, I couldn't help but think that she has "that inner something" that (for the ordinary watcher) far outshines the ability to do three triple-toe loops. It isn't just a better artistic sensibility - when she is out on the ice, I get the sense that she purely and simply *loves* the sensation of skating. There is a special joy on her face that isn't there just for the audience.

#962 - 12/19/00 09:22 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
I think the word we are looking for here is "charisma."

I remember my mother telling me about the time she met Flo Ziegfield.

She did not even know at the time who he was, but she said she looked up and saw this man who was not particularly good looking but there was a force of personality that was actually palpable.

[This message has been edited by Kay (edited 12-19-2000).]

#963 - 12/19/00 09:23 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
What's wrong with Heather Locklear?

#964 - 12/19/00 10:17 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mary Offline

Loc: MN

That's simple. She's not Sean Connery.

#965 - 12/19/00 12:10 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
David Dvorkin Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado, USA

She's bland. Only slightly pretty at best, and her body isn't the type that appeals to me.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with her. She just doesn't appeal to me. And no matter how often the mysterious Entertainment Powers That Be insist that she's a sex bomb, to me she isn't. Which is sort of where this threat started.

#966 - 12/29/00 11:48 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Hi, this is Elaine, Mike's wife. We couldn't find any Blake's 7 to rent, so we bought one cassette. It's "Children of Auron" and "Rumours of Death." That is one strange TV show. I thought Avon was very sexy but Mike thought he ought to be arrested.

But it made me want to read YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT again. It's different this time, because now I see Avon's face and hear his voice every time I come to a Holland scene. It's kind of weird, but nice-weird. I like it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Barbara