Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#967 - 12/30/00 12:26 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
So I'm computerless for a couple of weeks, and when I come back I find there's Darrow drooling going on...

Yes, B7 is a weird show. It's also a very good show, with (usually) good scripts, good acting, and lots of eye candy for the ladies Although I'm not sure that's the best pair of episodes to start with.

The PAL videos are still available, I don't know the current availability of NTSC - but there are always fans ready to make copies if it means new souls for the faith. DVD is a strong possibility next year, but likely to be only for the UK/Europe region, everyone else is going to need a chipped player.

#968 - 12/30/00 08:41 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
Hi, Elaine. I think Barbara's away from home at the moment, but she'll be along eventually. I did the same thing you did -- read the books, learned of the B7 connection, and then re-read, although I think I started with Fare Play (I don't know why). It does add another quality to the books, doesn't it?

How did you happen to pick those two episodes?

#969 - 12/31/00 10:34 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Eeny, meeny, miney, moe. I don't want to go for the whole series, but I wouldn't mind buying one more cassette. Which one would you recommend?

#970 - 12/31/00 10:35 AM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Mike Offline

Loc: Brooklyn
Oops, forgot to say that was Elaine posting.

#971 - 12/31/00 02:51 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Rita Offline

Loc: St. Paul, MN
I don't have the videos; all I have are copies of copies of copies that someone sent me. So I don't know how the episodes are paired for video -- in order of broadcast, I'd imagine, since most of them are linked to earlier and later episodes. Avon doesn't really begin to shine until after Blake has left the show, so you'd want a video from late in the series instead of early.

Julia knows more about this than I do.

#972 - 12/31/00 03:48 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Kay Offline

Loc: Roanoke, VA , USA
And I don't know anything about it, but I thought I would mention that Elaine can sign up as herself by clicking on "want to register." You can have multiple identities on the same computer.

I suspect Barbara got snowed in somewhere - New England, I think - and can't get back to Pittsburgh, which may not be much better....we missed the mess in SW Virginia...not sure if DC got it or not.

#973 - 01/02/01 05:49 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Barbara Offline
Administrator

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA , US
Hello, Elaine; it's always good to meet someone nibbling at the B7 bait.

But for some reason it's very hard to recommend specific episodes; I don't know what will appeal to you. One of my favorites of the video set is Volume 25; it has two strong episodes, "Gold" and "Orbit". But those episodes come near the very end of the series, and I don't think you could get the full impact of "Orbit" without knowing all of what had come before.

Perhaps a better one to start with would be "Project Avalon", because it includes all of the original cast; you'd get to see Blake in action. That's on Volume 5; it's paired with "Breakdown" which is only so-so in spite of a couple of strong scenes.

One of my favorites is "Mission to Destiny", which is a murder mystery aboard a spacecraft with Avon playing detective. Unfortunately, its partner on Volume 4 is "Duel", not one of the show's better efforts. In fact, it's pretty bad.

And then there's "Gambit"...and "Star One"...

#974 - 01/02/01 08:58 PM Re: Ms. Paul, will you answer a question?
Julia Offline

Loc: Silicon Valley
Go on, start at the very beginning and work all the way through...

Failing that, the episodes are two per video, in order - and the thing about this series is that by and large you have to watch it in order to really understnad what's going on. This is why it's difficult to recommend individual episodes - as Barbara says, Orbit is a stunner of an episode, but only if you've seen a good proportion of the earlier episodes. As for Blake... well, _don't_ watch it until you've watched most of the series, and don't let anyone tell you the plot.

You can find a set of useful info on the episodes at http://www.hermit.org/Blakes7/Episodes/index.html
including a short (one page) synopsis of the series background, character profiles, and episode transcripts.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Barbara