It has been um... 31 years or so since I read "Women in Love", but I was deeply impressed by the passionate depths to which Lawrence detailed three relationships. Rupert and Hermione,Rupert and [I think the character's name was Ursula] and Gerald and Gudrun.

Lawrence's particularly theory was that successful relationships existed because a man and a woman are incomplete beings at best. They need the right combinations to be whole and thrive. Two of the above three relationships were horrid failures. Nothing at all romantic about them, but in the one true relationship Lawrence is able to demonstrate his philosophy. I found the book to be very romantic indeed. It would probably be more significant to me now that I am married and not single. It brings a different focus to such a writing.

I guess we just disagree. I found Hardy's writing to be very romantic, when there is a romance to begin with. No, certainly not the "Mayor of Casterbridge" where a man sells his wife. Yet, doesn't a writer describe that which is bad or wrong in such a fashion as to say what is considered right? No, his were not formulaic novels. I did not mean to imply that. I do think he is quite the romantic however, or perhaps it is my own desire to see him that way. Hmm. Am I the romantic??? Haha.

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 05-16-2001).]