Catching up on some recent ideas....

Jack Davenport was also in The Talented Mr. Ripley, as the musician with whom it briefly looks as though Ripley will be happy. (You've seen the movie now, Barbara? I remember I was pushing it heavily a year or two ago, and you hadn't then.) Like Jude Law (who otherwise seems good to me for Holland), he's too young, and Davenport seems wrong in other ways too, too soft or gentle or something. Not that people can't act, but if we're armchair-casting....

Rufus Sewell is an actor I much admire (loved him in Cold Comfort Farm as the son who wanted to go to Hollywood, and he was in the original cast of Arcadia -- I also found myself walking more or less alongside him for several blocks of midtown Manhattan once). But he seems to me too broadly built for Holland, who needs to be lean and sharp-edged. But if the author feels otherwise, who am I to argue?

I like the idea of Mark Rylance (who's been the actor more or less in charge of the newly built Globe Theatre in London), but he would, as already mentioned, need to wear a hairpiece. Age and affect are right to my way of thinking though, and he was brought up in both the US and the UK (he has an American opera-singing sister), so has the right sort of indeterminate national background (and speech, if desired) too.