I have just "discovered" you through the marvelous keyword search regarding "Caruso" at the Los Angeles Public Library. I am new to your work and I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. I intend to read the other opera mysteries including the short story collection. I hope you will write more opera mysteries at some point. I suggest using Lauritz Melchior as a subject. Like Caruso, he had a good sense of humour. Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but you have Caruso make a disparaging comment about Wagnerian opera. Did you do this with the knowledge that Caruso sang Lohengrin onstage (albeit before his Metropolitan Opera debut)? In light of this, should i take his comment as ironic, that a good Italian does not listen to Wagner anyway? (see p. 132). I hope I have not been nitpicking. I did enjoy your novel and plan to read the others soon, as I have a lot of downtown this week during theatre rehearsals for a production of Gianni Schicchi in which I am singing Rinuccio. Thank you for the opportunity to contact you. Incidentally, have you read "The Messenger" by Mayra Montero? It is a mystery/romance novel about Caruso in Havana in 1920. If so, would you care to comment on it?

------------------
kevin