If you haven't already checked, here's the new season of Met simulcasts.

Oct. 11 -- Verdi's Macbeth, with Anna Netrebko and Željko Lucic. This is the Adrian Noble production from five or six years ago that I liked so much, with its chorus of slatternly witches that I still think about now and then plus the best sleepwalking scene I've ever seen.

Oct. 18 -- Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro, with Ildar Abdrazakov

Nov. 1 -- Bizet's Carmen, with Anita Rachvelishvili

Nov. 22 -- Rossini's Il Barbiere di Siviglia, with Isabel Leonard and Christopher Maltman

Dec. 13 -- Wagner's Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg , with Johan Reuter and a whole lot of other people

Jan. 17 -- Lehár's The Merry Widow, with Renée Fleming

Jan. 31 -- Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann, with Vittorio Grigolo

Feb. 14 -- Double Bill: Tchaikovsky's Iolanta with Anna Netrebko, and Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle with Nadja Michael and Mikhail Petrenko

Mar. 14 -- Rossini's La Donna del Lago, with Joyce DiDonato and Juan Diego Flórez (Met premiere)

Apr. 25 -- Double Bill: Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana with Marcelo Alvarez and Eva Maria Westbroek and Leoncavallo's Pagliacci with Alvarez again and Patricia Racette

Cav and Pag for dessert, how nice. grin From what I can gather, Cav will have a traditional production, but Pag will be set at a 1948 truck stop in the same village, and the players are a roaming vaudeville troupe. Vaudeville? There was no more vaudeville in 1948; it was long dead.

The other double bill strikes me as rather strange -- Tchaikovsky and Bartok? What a clash of musical styles. Can't wait to see it.