Turandot was my first opera. I had been asking my parents about this opera thing, and my mother decided that in 7th grade I was old enough to experience one. So, after research and consultation, she took me to Turandot at Chicago Lyric Opera in 1959. Birgit Nilsson and Leontyne Price were the sopranos (both pretty new on the international scene at that date), and I just wish I'd been experienced enough to appreciate and remember what I was hearing.

I see that the Glyndebourne 2016 season is announced, and they're bringing back their wonderful Meistersinger. I had vowed that I might consider attending again when that happened, so now I have to consider it. The other title on the schedule that I would most want to see is Britten's Midsummer Night's Dream, but unfortunately there's no overlap -- there's a month between the end of one run and the start of the next. The ones that do overlap with the Wagner are Barber of Seville and Janacek's Vixen, both quite all right but not enticing to me. Meanwhile, concurrent with the Britten they're doing a new production of Berlioz's Beatrice and Benedick, which I do find intriguing. So I'll have to think it over....