And yesterday was her 65th birthday! We talked about her in the French Art Song class that I teach (we have reached Poulenc, of whom she is of course a supreme interpreter). I've seen her in recital in the US 4 times, and even enjoyed a post-recital supper at neighboring little tables (me with Graham Johnson, she with Ann Murray).

The recital program looks slightly oddly chosen to me, with so many full-length orchestral pieces rendered pianistically -- did he really play 10-minute solos? I've encountered Carr's name as a theater orchestrator, and seen comments from him on Facebook -- he is a friend of several friends, if you follow me.

As to the sung portion of the program, I know all the songs except "Never Say No," which was created by Rodgers solo for the 1962 remake of State Fair. I used to loathe "My Funny Valentine" too, and still do when it's given the usual last-call-in-the-boozy-nightclub rendition. But when it's done with the orchestration for the original show (lots of English horn and celesta), in straight tempo and rhythm and not messed around with, it's beautiful. Frederica von Stade does a lovely rendition on her Rodgers & Hart CD of the same name. Unfortunately nobody seems to have made a video of it to post online, so I can't point you in that direction.

Edited by Jon (05/09/12 01:03 PM)