***********SPOILER***********

I loved the dreamlike quality of the movie, the whimsy, the unique look of the movie...and of course the music, an essential part of the fabric of the movie (that sounds pretentious, but I don't know how else to put it). Everything flowed so seamlessly into everything else. I loved the conclusion, when everyone was in the church for a second performance of Noye's Fludde...the storm was raging, the flimsy dam broke, and the water came flooding in through the town. That church, with the children all costumed as animals, truly was Noah's ark.

But there's an undertone of darkness running through the movie. Troubled children aren't receiving the help they need. A dog is killed. The mother in the family is having an affair. I have to say I've never seen Frances McDormand looking more frumpy, deliberately so. It's a sour sort of joke. You couldn't imagine a woman less likely to attract an extra-marital lover.

Jon, McDormand's and Murray's roles seemed to me about the same size as Willis's and Norton's. They were all on the screen about an equal amount of time, I'm pretty sure.