At first I really liked Death Elsewhere because it struck me as such an odd heading in an obituary column; it jumped right off the page at me. As if all death could be divided into two categories, death here and death elsewhere.

But as I got farther into the book, it struck me that the phrase "Death Elsewhere" was noticeable only in its original context; as the title of a mystery novel, it sounded like 600 other mystery titles. There was no image to remember, no wordplay to stick in the mind. I've been grumbling for years about the interchangeability of most mystery titles (many of which are editor-selected, not writer-selected; for a long time, editors were more interested in selling the genre than the individual work). I was afraid Death Elsewhere was going to fall into that bottomless well of generic titles, so at the last minute I opted for In-laws and Outlaws -- which at least has a different sound to it.

So different, in fact, that the editor of the English edition objected; she said "outlaws" made her think of cowboys. She ingenuously suggested Death Elsewhere -- "You know, from the obituary column?" I allowed myself to be talked into it, heh. So in the end I wound up with both titles.