I'd like to make a comment or two. This may be a spoiler to some, so I'll put in a few empty lines so that anyone who doesn't want to know can exit now.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

|

OK. First, a question to Barbara: did the book grow out of the title ("his feets uneven"), or was the story well-advanced before the title suddenly jumped into your head?

Now some comments. First, about the blurb elsewhere on this site. I read it before deciding to buy the book, but, re-reading it now, I'm quite glad that I'd forgotten what it said! Reading the book, I'd no idea who was going to be killed and who was going to do it, and I don't think I'd have wanted to know. And there are 60+ pages before that happens, too.

I was also interested to meet Marian Larch for the first time (leaving aside a brief appearance in Jack be quick), but surprised at her relatively small part in the book. This became explicable once I read what Barbara has to say on the subject of the development of Larch as (eventually) a series character - again, on this site.

I was a bit surprised that neither the cover nor the prefaratory matter in the book contained either a few words about the story nor anything about the author. Maybe publishing on demand cuts these things out because I wouldn't be ordering the book unless I knew something about both? It's certainly nicely produced, though.

I did feel some sympathy for King, and his dilemma and the way he had to go in deeper once he'd started reminded me of Patricia Highsmith's books (hope that isn't an insult, Barbara!) On the other hand, a certain basic stupidity shone through, and his decision to frame Mimi just confirmed that.

Good dénouement! Now I wonder if Jon will explain exactly why he won't re-read this book?

(Oh - and I definitely can't understand why the book had to be retitled for the UK. The title is perfectly well explained in the text - and there must be lots of Americans who wouldn't know any more about Pogo than we do.)